The University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education & Hotel, the Georgia Chapter of the Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA), and the Department of Natural Resources/Environmental Protection Division (DNR/EPD) have developed a 30-hour training program leading to certification for landfill operators in the State of Georgia.
This course prepares students for certification or recertification. The six-day online session covers topics such as state regulations, acts, and compliance inspections; the history of SWM; planning and waste reduction; site selection; design and permitting; landfill development; landfill operations; waste acceptance; landfill math and surveying; landfill monitoring; closure/post-closure; and much more. The course concludes with a certification exam.
The State of Georgia Comprehensive Solid Waste Management Act requires that all solid waste landfills in the state be staffed at all times by trained and certified landfill operators. The legislation also calls for certification of all landfill inspectors.
The law states that an individual seeking landfill operator certification must be a high-school graduate or must have completed an accredited GED program, must have at least six months of experience as a landfill operator in the State of Georgia, or must be employed by the State of Georgia for the purpose of conducting landfill compliance inspections.
Important things to note:
- This training will be held in an online format
- Please send the appropriate form for either certification or recertification, and email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org before the first day of the workshop.
- Each participant will receive an electronic copy of the manual
- For an additional $60, a hard copy of the manual can be provided and mailed to your preferred address
Each Georgia landfill operator or state landfill inspector who successfully completes the training program will receive a certificate identifying her/him as having satisfied her/his obligation under the state law. Every other attendee completing the course with a passing grade will receive a Certificate of Attendance.
The exam is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday morning. Participants who fail the exam may register to retake it one time (during a scheduled Georgia Landfill Operator Certification Training Workshop) for a fee of $50. Those who fail the exam a second time must retake the entire course at the regular course fee.
Event Date:Tuesday, October 13, 2020 - Tuesday, October 20, 2020
Registration Fee (includes Tuesday exam & electronic copy of manual) – $430
Tuesday Exam Retake Only (no class) – $50
Hard copy of manual – $60
Event Cancellation Policies:
(1) A cancellation received by 5:00 p.m. ET on or before October 8, 2020, will be refunded, minus a $35 processing fee. No refunds will be issued thereafter; substitutions will be allowed. (2) To change or cancel your registration, call (706) 542-7493, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET. (3) If an event is cancelled for any reason, the UGA Center for Continuing Education & Hotel will not be responsible for any charges related to travel.
The Georgia Center